1. Collected Information
In order to achieve the purposes set forth in “3. Purposes of Use of Collected Information,” Mercari collects information such as the following, which may include personal information.
(1) The content of the Website accessed by the user
(2) Date, time, and number of times users access the Website
(3) Users’ online activity while they are accessing the Website; information related to the use and viewing of the Website by users (including usage information like cookies and access logs; the user’s device, location, and IP address at the time of use; and user communications information like browser and browser language)
(4) Information collected as a result of research or development activities conducted by Mercari R4D
(5) Content of inquiries received from users
(6) Responses collected from surveys conducted by Mercari
(7) Other information, etc. related to the above
2. Managing Collected Information
Mercari employees who are engaged in work that involves managing/using the information we collect from our users manage this information strictly and handle it carefully in order to prevent unauthorized access, loss, leakage, falsification, etc. of personal information. For more information about how Mercari Group securely manages personal data, please see the Basic Policy for Safe Management of Personal Data (https://www.mercari.com/jp/data_security/).
3. Purposes of Use of Your Information
Mercari collects the information defined in section 1 above for the following purposes.
(1) Tailoring the Website to best suit our users’ needs
(2) Researching and analyzing the usage data of the Website
(3) Improving and enhancing the content of the Website to make it better for users, and developing the Website
(4) Responding to user inquiries
(5) Conducting research or development with the goal of implementing services provided by Mercari Group in society
(6) Distributing or displaying user-targeted advertisements belonging to Mercari Group or a third party
(7) Sharing or displaying item information as part of the services provided by Mercari Group and the third party
(8) Safely operating the Website and preventing fraudulent use (including protecting against fraudulent use cases like spam and fraudulent access, as well as our response to any occurrence of fraudulent use)
(9) Troubleshooting any problems that may arise through the operation of the Website
4. Provision of Your Information to Third Parties
In compliance with the law, Mercari may provide Collected Information to third parties in the following cases.
(1) Cases where it is deemed necessary for the management and operation of the Website, and when we have obtained consent
(2) Cases where Collected Information is requested by a court of law, administrative agency, supervisory authority, or other public agency in accordance with laws and regulations
(3) Cases where it is necessary in order to protect a person’s life, health, or financial assets, and in which it is not feasible to obtain user consent
(4) Cases where it is necessary for the improvement of public health, especially promoting the health and safety of children, and in which it is not feasible to obtain user consent
(5) Cases where we are legally compelled to cooperate with a government body, a local public entity, or a contracting agency of the aforementioned in carrying out their duties, and in which obtaining user consent may interfere with the duties to be carried out
(6) Cases where the third party in question is an academic research institution, etc., and it is necessary for said third party to handle the Collected Information for academic research purposes (including cases in which part of the purpose of handling the Collected Information is for academic research purposes, but excluding cases where there is a risk of unjustified infringement of the rights and interests of individuals)
5. Third-Party Handling of Collected Information
Mercari may entrust the handling of Collected Information, in part or in full, to a third-party contractor, as is necessary to achieve the purposes defined in section 3 above. In such cases, Mercari will thoroughly vet the contractor in order to make sure that they meet the standards defined by Mercari, and contractually guarantee the proper handling of Collected Information.
6. Shared Use of Collected Information
Mercari shares Collected Information with the other entities of Mercari Group in order to achieve the purposes defined in section 3 above.
(1) Shared information
Collected Information as defined in section 1 above
(2) Parties that use the shared information
(3) Purpose of sharing information
To achieve the purposes defined in section 3 above
(4) Party responsible for managing shared information
Mercari (for further inquiries, please see section 14)
Please click the link below for Mercari’s company address, representative, and other such information.
Users are able to change their settings to not allow cookies; many web browsers will automatically accept cookies for users, but this setting can be changed to block cookies.
（1）If cookies are blocked, it is possible that users will not be able to use the Website as intended, or that ad settings requiring cookies will not be properly reflected.
（2）Mercari automatically collects information like cookies, viewed advertisements and pages, and usage environment; this information is recorded on our servers and used in session management and for security purposes in order to improve convenience when using the Website.
8. Google Analytics
Google Analytics Terms of Service:：
Google Analytics Opt-out Browser Add-on:
9. Use of Logs and Device Information
Mercari collects IP address, browser type, browser language, and other such information that is automatically generated when users access the Website. This information is used to analyze the usage environment, to provide users with better service, and to prevent fraudulent activities that may interfere with the normal provision of services. Search records are stored and managed in a form that does not allow identification of individuals, and are used to create statistical data and for other purposes.
Mercari may collect device information such as individual device identification information. This information is used to provide users with better service and to prevent fraudulent activities that may interfere with the normal provision of services.
10. Management and Security of Collected Information
Mercari works diligently to safely manage Collected Information by storing it safely on a server in an environment that cannot be accessed by regular users, and prevent unauthorized access, loss, erasure, falsification, and leakage.
11. Information of Users Who Are Minors
Mercari protects information collected from users who are minors in the same manner as information collected from adult users. Mercari may obtain the consent of parents, guardians, or conservators as necessary for the provision of information collected from users who are minors.
12. Improvements and Updates to this Policy
Mercari improves and updates this Policy as necessary.
（1）This Policy is subject to amendment in order to respond to changes in laws or if it is deemed necessary for the business. Mercari will notify users of any changes made to this Policy.
（2）Please make sure to check the latest version of this Policy before you access the Site.
13. Procedures for Disclosure, Correction, and Discontinuation of Use of Your Personal Data Retained by Mercari
Users whose data is retained by Mercari (“retained personal data” as defined by the Act on the Protection of Personal Information) may request that their data be disclosed (including disclosure of records stating to which third parties their data has been shared), edited, added to, deleted, or erased. They may also request that its use or provision to third parties be suspended. Mercari will respond to these requests in an appropriate manner and in accordance with the law. If a user wants to request that their data retained by Mercari be disclosed, they may make a request in accordance with the procedures Mercari has separately specified. Information may not be disclosed in the following cases:
（1）If disclosing the information might negatively impact the life, health, financial assets, or other rights and privileges of the individual or a third party
（2）If disclosing the information might carry a significant negative impact on Mercari’s ability to appropriately fulfill its duties
（3）If disclosing the information would violate laws and/or ordinances
（4）If Mercari is unable to confirm that the request to disclose the information came from the user from whom the information was collected
If, as a result of disclosure, the user determines that the content of the retained personal data is not factual, the user may request that the information be corrected, amended, or deleted following protocols specified separately by Mercari. In such cases, and as is necessary to achieve the purposes of use (defined in section 3 of this Policy), Mercari will conduct a prompt investigation and, based on the results, correct, amend, or delete the retained personal data in question.
Furthermore, according to protocols specified separately by Mercari, users may also request that the use of their data be suspended, that their data be erased, or that the provision of it to third parties be suspended. In those cases, Mercari will conduct an immediate investigation if necessary. If the result of the investigation finds reasonable grounds for the user’s request, for example if the Group is found to have inappropriately handled the data, Mercari will suspend usage of the data, delete it, or suspend provision of it to third parties to the extent necessary to protect the user’s rights and interests. However, Mercari may not be able to respond to a request if the request method is insufficient, if there is no reasonable basis for the request, or if certain laws and regulations make responding to a request not feasible.
Please note that if you request the disclosure of your retained personal data or records related to provision to third parties, Mercari may charge you for the disclosure in accordance with the procedures separately prescribed by Mercari.
If you have any inquiries about this Policy, please use the contact information below.
Roppongi Hills Mori Tower 18th Floor, 6-10-1 Roppongi, Minato-ku, Tokyo 106-6118
Person in charge of personal information, Mercari, Inc.
Revised on November 14, 2023
Revised on April 1, 2022
Revised on August 25, 2020
Established on October 24, 2019